Best Things To Do Around Boise During the Winter
Winter in Idaho is not a time to hibernate! There are so many fun activities to enjoy each winter. Here are a few of our favorite winter excursions.
- Ice Skating at Indian Creek Plaza - Grab your ice skates and head to downtown Caldwell, Idaho. The skating ribbon opens on November 18th, 2022. If you've never skated before, do not worry! They also offer skating lessons.
- McCall Winter Carnival - McCall, Idaho is a 2-hour drive from Boise. Every January since the 1960s this mountain community has hosted this winter event that draws in thousands of people. The event consists of a Mardi Gras parade, a dog-sledding challenge, bingo, live music, sleigh rides, and much more! The highlight of the event is the intricate ice sculptures that you can view throughout the town.
- Skiing or Snowboarding at Tamarack Resort - Tamarack boasts some of the best skiing in Idaho. Also within a 2-hour drive of Boise, this ski resort is a must-see for those that love to snowboard, Nordic ski, or explore trails while snowshoeing. It is located near Lake Cascade in Donnelly, Idaho.
- Snow Tubing at Bogus Basin - For an adventure a little closer to home, try the snow tubing hill at Bogus Basin. Bogus Basin Resort is a mere 40-minute drive from Boise and also offers Alpine skiing, snowboarding, Nordic skiing, and fat tire biking.
- Soaking at the Hot Springs in Idaho City - An hour from Boise is the old mining community of Idaho City. To escape the hustle and bustle of the city during the holiday season, go to this spa-like developed hot springs to soak in its geothermal pool.
- Winter Garden a Glow at Idaho Botanical Garden - During the entire month of December you can enjoy the beautiful lights decoratively hung throughout the gardens, along with FREE hot cocoa, cookies, live music, and other holiday activities! Idaho Botanical Gardens is located off of Warms Springs Ave near Boise's historic North End.